You will see and feel the real military tension between South and North Korea. CHEORWON is the small city facing North Korea, therefore, you will have a chance to walk inside of infiltrated tunnel. There, you might see North Korean soldiers through binoculars at Peace Observatory. Because it’s location is not easily accessible, CHEORWON is less famous than other DMZ places. But, if you join this tour, you will be brought in the middle of a battlefield where tens of thousands of soldiers died during the Korean War.
During the Korean War, CHEORWON changed hands several times between the UN invasion of North Korea and the Chinese invasion of South Korea. By 1951, the front line had stabilized, cutting across CHEORWON County, and the area became part of the Iron Triangle battlefield.
Following the signing of the Korean Armistice Agreement, the Korean Demilitarized Zone cut CHEORWON County into two, creating CHEORWON County in South Korea and CHEORWON County in North Korea.
A number of Korean War sites in CHEORWON County are now tourist destinations including the Second Incursion Tunnel, CHEORWON Peace Observatory, the former WOLJEONGRI Station and the former Korean Workers’ Party Office.
Though you can use the private car by Korean speaking driver only, we strongly recommend you hire a guide. Without proper explanation, it is not easy to understand/appreciate the nature of this tour.
Please note that this tour is not available on TUESDAY.
|US$||Items||Number of people|
|Per group||Cars by Korean speaking driver||$400||$240|
|Per person||Admission fee – adult||$8|
|Admission fee – child under 13Y||$4|
|Admission fee – child under 37M||0|
|Basic Meals (option)||$10|
|Weekend Meals (option)||$20|
|Special Meals (option)||$40|
|▪ If 2 people choose guide + admission fee + Special Meal in addition to vehicle, the price will be [$240 for guide + $320 for vehicle + ($8 for admission + $40 for meal) X 2 people] = $656
▪ If 12 people choose Guide, Admission fee, Basic Meal in addition to vehicle, the price will be $240 for guide + $400 for vehicle + [($8 for admission fee + $10 for meal) X 12 people] = $856
08:00 Meet your guide, or driver at hotel
10:30-13:00 CHEORWON DMZ TOUR
▪ 2ND DISCOVERED TUNNEL: This tunnel was dug by NORTH KOREA and it was discovered in 1975 after 1ST TUNNEL in 1974. Why NORTH KOREA built this kind of tunnel? The answer is to move their armed soldiers very fast. Because the border is covered with many mountains, they cannot operate 4-wheel vehicles to bring the soldiers over the mountains. Unfortunately, 8 SOUTH KOREAN soldiers were killed inside the tunnel when they investigate the tunnel for the first time.
▪ PEACE OBSERVATORY: The place where you can look NORTH KOREA land and guard posts. You will realize that SOUTH KOREA and NORTH KOREA breached the agreement by building guard posts even inside DMZ.
▪ WOLJEONGRI STATION (RUIN): Until the separation by USA and SOVIET UNION upon our independence from JAPAN. The train was running through SOUTH and NORTH KOREA. Therefore, this train station is located at far north though the train cannot go.
▪ LABOR PARTY OFFICE (RUIN): Upon our independence from JAPAN, the northern part of 38 parallels falls to the governance by SOVIET UNION. Therefore, the sole political party called LABOR PARTY was controlling CHEORWON until occupation by SOUTH KOREA during KOREAN WAR. While LABOR PARTY was governing CHEORWON, they don’t mind torturing, even killing people because some people refused to abandon the private property system.
14:00-16:00 Transfer back to your hotel
▪ To book this tour, please click ‘Cash on delivery’ option.
▪ Then, we will advise you the exact amount and the payment method after checking the availability.
▪ If you don’t mind paying US$80 for 8-seater van and guide, you can visit SEUNGRI OBSERVATORY after this session. At SEUNGRI OBSERVATORY, you can see NORTH KOREA guard post more closely.